onsdag 22 april 2009

2.

I have a complicated relationship with TV series (so I’ve heard) and there are only a few of them I have the patience to follow. I start watching but after a while I tend to stop watching. Why I have difficulties to follow series is because I think that at some time the happenings in different series get really ridiculous and the same problems occurs again and again, it is a never ending story.

At one time I used to watch Desperate Housewife but after a while I lost the interest and got bored so I just stopped watching. Sometimes I feel that TV series get stuck in a “hamster wheel” and tends to become like the soap opera Days of our lives, a real long runner without an end. That is why series in the crime genre suites me better because an episode often stands by itself and you can see an episode and then miss one out, but still you can follow it without problems. I like when you watch something that have a solution and ends so that you don’t have to wait a week or so to see what is going to happen.

But of course as with everything there are exceptions, there is one TV series that took my breath away and made me into at totally addict. This TV series had everything though it wasn’t in the crime genre and didn’t have episodes that stood by themselves. I am proud to say that I have seen every episode of the eight seasons of the amazing and extraordinary series called Six feet under. Of all the series I have seen or at least tried to see Six feet under is the best of the best. I can’t really explain why but I never got bored or thought that the happenings in the series never got ridiculous or boring. Maybe it had the perfect mix of everything, when I saw the last episode of all the seasons I felt totally empty inside because I really loved it. But as I mentioned sometimes a series should end because then you remember it as positive and maybe the series avoid getting a “soap opera stamp” like Days of our lives.

Another thing about watching series is, when I saw Six feet under I borrowed the boxes from a friend which meant that I saw an episode when it suited me and therefore I didn’t have to wait for a week for the next episode to be broadcasted. And there we have another thing when it comes to me and TV series, I don’t have the patience to wait a week and sometimes you even have to wait months for the dissolution, I don’t like cliff-hangers. Then a third and important thing for me is that I really don’t want the TV controlling my life because I am aware that if you get addicted and stuck to a TV series you chose the TV before other things.

Finally, the TV series I like to watch today is CSI, The Midsomer murders, Family guy, Flight of the concords, and I am really weak when it comes to different reality shows like Project Runway. But if I were to choose I’d rather buy or borrow boxes with the TV series which means that I can see how many episodes I want and when it suites me. A new form of watching TV programmes is by the internet and here you can se different TV series whenever you want. Many of the Swedish TV channels use the “play” function these days and that is something I really like.






2 kommentarer:

  1. Dear Linn,
    I think you have some interesting arguments. I can really agree with you when it comes to borrow a DVD-box and watch the series whenever you want; it makes the watching so much easier! The paragraphs do not feel too long, and they all discuss an idea of their own. You also use the linking devices in a good way.

    Sometimes, though, you tend to write in a sort of "Swenglish" way. "At one time I used to..." should be "Once I used to..." or just "I used to...". "At one time" tells the reader that you did it only one time and never again.

    Also, there are a few minor grammatical errors, make sure you know when to use "have" and when tou use "has" and so on. "I like when you watch something that have a solution..." should be "I like it when you watch something that has a solution..." since words like something and everyone are seen as third person singular.

    Very well done! Keep up like this!

    Best regards,
    Maria Persson

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hello Linn!
    I found your text interesting to read. You had some good arguments there. I also think that waiting a week for an episode is hard. It's easier to rent /borrow the series because you don't have to be afraid to miss one episode.

    One thing I noticed while reading is that you sometimes write in a Swenglish way, try not to write it word to word when you translate.

    I don't comment on your spelling because I also can make errors while writing.

    Kepp up the good work//Agnes

    SvaraRadera